Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Wonderful World of Women in Technology

Although I have been out of full time employment and the office environment since 2006, I still thought of myself as pretty up to date on most things related to my profession and career.  Having had two children over the last 5 years, I have been in the very fortunate position of being able to work part time from home.  Whilst I realised that I was falling off the radar in some respects, I really didn’t appreciate how out of touch with how things are done these days that I had become.
Recently, a friend of mine and I launched our own iPhone app - Legacy Organiser.  Apart from overcoming a massive learning curve in IT over the last 12 months, I had no idea that I was literally out in the cold when it came to social and professional networking.
Although I knew all about the phenomenon of Facebook, I hadn’t really paid much attention to Linked-In and other professional networking sites.  Having said that, and with the launch of our app, I had heard about an organisation called Women in Technology (www.womenintechnology.co.uk) with whom I got in touch.  I have been overwhelmed by the support, different ways and speed with which you can engage and network through this organisation.
Very quickly we had received comments on our app through our blog that appeared on the Women in Technology website and we immediately started to network with other people in the field who are interested in collaborating on our app.  This new way of doing business is completely unfamiliar to me but there is such a buzz from the way in which things can happen so quickly.
If you are involved in technology or thinking of getting into IT, I strongly urge you to join this fantastic and hugely supportive organisation.  It really does make things happen - and fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment