Wednesday 20 July 2011

Now I Understand the Power of Networking

Until fairly recently, I had never really understood the tangible benefits of networking,  This is partially because I have been out of the work force for several years having children and at that time the words "networking opportunity" used to send a bit of a shiver down my spine.  And not in a good way.

I had previously been working as a solicitor in the city, and networking to me came to represent a night afterwork in some badly lit conference room, drinking tepid and fairly nasty white wine, and trying not to drop chicken vol-au-vent filling down the front of my suit.  There was the usual array of people to speak to, some more interesting than others (and I would include myself in that category) , and a muted exchange of business cards.  But nothing ever really "happened" as such.

Having recently launched an iPhone app called Legacy Organiser, I have re-entered the work force and much has changed.  I have had to engage with technology and communities in a way that did not exist 5 or 6 years ago.  It has been a huge learning curve.  However, what I have found is that networking is no longer a concept but an actual activity that reaps huge rewards.  Through Women in Technology, we have been given the opportunity to raise the profile of our app including getting a fantastic review of our app on Lady Geek  http://ladygeek.com/archives/1958  I am still a networking novice but it is an amazing experience to see tangible results at such an early stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment